Friday, June 15, 2012

I've fallen and can't get up!

Dear Auntie Muriel,
   I have been sick for a long time and am not up to completing my studies for this month. I am at a loss as to what to craft, even how to craft anything lately. I don't want to lose my place in my beloved house. I like playing along with my year mates and all, but just can't keep up right now. What do you advise in my situation?
Sincerely,
A forlorn student

Dear Forlorn,
  How dreadful to be so ill! You have my sincere empathy.  I hope you get well soon, as I'm sure my readers do too.
   The first thing I would do is speak with your Head of House to inform of your situation. In that message, also indicate whether you have completed any homework for this month. They can give you an excused absence for the months you are unable to complete homework.
   If your illness should last longer than the term, you have a couple of options. You can either play as a Student on Sabbatical  or as a Sorted Student next term, depending on whether you think you'll be able to keep up with assignments.
   Students on Sabbatical, SOSs, retain their year status if they want to, but are excused from the requirement of handing in homework every month. Other than that, you would still be able to hang out in your lovely house common room and your dormitory as well.  They can also participate in all the other activities around the castle. Like NQFYs, SOSs do not earn points for their houses.
  If you think you'll be able to keep up with assignments, then it is better to go through next term as a Sorted student and complete at least the one homework per month. After completing the one homework, assess your energy and time availability and decide whether to do more homework, Quidditch, Unity projects, or any of the other projects going on around the castle. Remember, after the first class all other things are gravy, as Boppingbeth was found of telling us NQFYs when I was in the Waiting Room.
   I hope this helps to ease your mind and reduces your anxiety about keeping up with assignments.  Just do your best. Keep in contact with your Head of House. And, remember, it is a game and is meant to be fun!
Yours fondly,
Auntie Muriel

No comments: