Friday, September 17, 2010

Friday Staff Interview - IsisOnEarth

Happy Friday House Cuppers! Today we begin our four week journey into Head of House Interviews. This week, IsisOnEarth of Ravenclaw was kind enough to sit down with me.

A favorite project, with a fun story, The Wisp of Firmament

  1. Tell us a little about yourself outside the cup.
I’m a SAHM that drifted off to school with my son who is 8. So currently in my spare time I’m a noon supervisor at his school and also partner with a teacher to run a fresh fruit and vegetable snack program for the students. Before that I ran an artist-in-residence program that brought a clay muralist to the school to make a large scale piece of art for the building. Slightly more than 400 kids worked on it. That really was a high point of my non-Cup life. In a few years when he hits middle school I expect I will need to reinvent myself again in some way.

     2. Why did you choose to be Head of House?
I loved being a Prefect and cheerleading for Ravenclaw. It became a bigger and bigger part of my life until when CMelvin was ready to retire I couldn’t imagine not stepping up.

     3.  What’s the most challenging part of running a House?
The growth we experience every term. I constantly need to adapt how I do things so that the same great things can be done for an ever expanding number of students. When we hit 150 per House last term my head exploded.
I have a great House Staff though. They really make things work.

    4.  Favorite and least favorite part of being HoH:
My very favorite thing is letting people take their own ideas and run with them. Many of the very best things we do in Ravenclaw started with an idea someone had in passing. It is so great to be able to be the person that says, ”I think you should do it.” and “How can I help you make that happen.”
Ravenclaw Tower is a dream we dream together. It takes a lot of ideas to build something like that. I’m really blessed to be its guardian.
I feel guilty admitting my least favorite part. Honestly? It is that I automatically disqualify myself from House contests. This is a right and good thing but I find contests and drawings so enticing. I love the thrill of the possibility of winning more than winning itself.
I had such fun with the Ravenclaw Summer Reading Programme because I was able to compete full out. That was a treat for me.

     5. If you could have one (spell, potion, charm whatever) that would work in real life what would it be?
A Time Turner no doubt about it. I’m currently in a state of having way to many things needing my time. If I could just manage a few extra hours in the day I might get a chance to catch some sleep.

That's it for me this week. Thanks for letting me pick your brain, Isis!

No comments: