Saturday, January 16, 2010

The Shrieking Shack

::Beyby waves Graceleaf in as she enters the shrieking Shack, and motions for her to sit:: Ah, a Slytherin. I am so glad you could meet with me today Graceleaf. And welcome to the Shrieking Shack. Please do try to ignore the noises. ::glances at the cupboard, which seems to be making knocking noises:: Tell me a bit about yourself.

Graceleaf: ::sits in a dilapidated chair that sways a little:: My name is Beth and I'm really a woodsy kind of girl at heart, though I'm now in Chicago with my husband. I grew up in northern Minnesota with gravel in my knees and still love nothing more than to be in the woods near a lake (playing with yarn on a screened in porch with in the woods near a lake? I might just stay there until I die). I pretty much relate all colors to outside things from growing up. It makes me happy.

Beyby: Fascinating. I think it’s neat you relate colors to the outdoors, sounds very soothing. Makes me wonder what your patronus might be.

Graceleaf: A loon. I think it's because I can be a bit of a loon... but also kind of solitary except for its mate. Plus they're gorgeous and, well, need I say more? ;)

Beyby: Indeed you don’t. If you could use one spell, what would it be and how would you use it?

Graceleaf: Scourgify... I'd use it on my apartment. Oh, and my car, and the dishes... the list goes on and on really.

Beyby: How long have you been knitting and how did you learn?

Graceleaf: My grandmother taught me to knit when I was ten. I relearned a couple different times during my childhood because my mother also knows how to knit, but didn't do so regularly. I've been knitting consistently for about the past two and a half years. I had to re-teach myself how to purl, courtesy of Knitting for Dummies.

Beyby: Ah the purl … yes I had to watch videos to remember how to do it when I started again. Where is the weirdest place you have knit?

Graceleaf: If by weird you mean amazing, I knit one of my Quidditch mitts last summer at the Harry Potter Exhibit.

Beyby: That must have been fun. Do you have any other hobbies?

Graceleaf: I like to sew, use my Gocco, make jewelery, needle felt, and most recently spin. I'm mostly a homebody, but knitting is something I can take places with me, which I think is why it stuck.

Beyby: If you were stranded on a desert island, what size and type of needles and yarn would you want?

Graceleaf: I'd want my Knit Picks options size 8 circular needles and Stonehedge Fiber Mill Shepherd's Wool because it's the softest most yummy yarn that I've used to date. I haven't used my Malabrigo Worsted yet, if I had I might have to change my mind...

::A loud shriek pierces the air::

Beyby: Don’t pay it any mind. He’s just jealous I am giving my attention to someone else. ::Changes topic:: I have visited the dungeon on a few occasions and know there are some wonderful people down there … not to mention the hotties … but tell me, what’s the best part about being a Slytherin?

Graceleaf: Snakes are more fun. Rawr! I love the ambition that Slytherins have. It's full of people who are dedicated to their craft and in it to win, but because it's fun. We might be a little competitive, but hey, it's all in good fun.

Beyby: And that's the whole point of all this isn't it? To have fun. I have a test for you.

::Graceleaf says nothing as Beyby motions for her to follow and walks back to the chest that has been rocking in the corner. The doors are flung open and a Boggart flies at Graceleaf. She remains calm and thinks about the frightened people in horror movies about to open the door where the bad guy is (you IDIOT!) and shouts:: Riddikulus ::the people open the door and there stands Rick Astley singing ‘Never Gonna Give You Up’ with the Weird Sisters singing backup::

Beyby: Excellent Excellent! ::sings along and claps in laughter as she closes the cupboard doors:: Come sit back down now. Do you have a project that you are most proud of?

Graceleaf: Well. I think my Mikey Ninja Turtle is probably one of my favorites. I have a few others that were more challenging, or that are more my personal taste, but for the small amount of work (and yarn!) that went into it, and for how much my husband loves it, it was absolutely one of my most satisfying. I also knit a Duck Soup for my niece that I LOVE, but never got a picture.

Beyby: It is very cute! Is there a project you have been afraid to try and would maybe like a push/guidance from house or cup members who have done it before?

Graceleaf: ::sigh:: Actually, yes. I'm planning on making EZ's Saddle shoulder aran cardigan. I'm sooo afraid I'll get the math wrong, or just make a really dumb mistake, and the steeeeek! I'm terrified of it. I'll be holding my breath the entire way.

Beyby: Dumb mistakes can be good. I like to think of all mistakes as adventures. Maybe someone who knows what it feels like to attempt something like this for the first time might like to share their experiences and finished project results. So … ::eyes Graceleaf suspiciously:: If you were given the choice to live forever, would you accept?

Graceleaf: Nope. I think I'd get bored... and my knuckles would probably get too arthritic to knit anymore. Besides, stories that have a beginning should also have an end to make them worth reading, and I like to think that we're the same way.

Beyby: Hmm, I see. ::Marks something down in her notebook that she keeps hidden from Graceleaf:: This has been really interesting, but I think it is feeding time. Thank you very much for your time. Before you go is there anything else you would like to say?

Graceleaf: Gooo Snakes!!

::Beyby motions to the door. Graceleaf rises and walks towards it as a terrible shriek comes from within the shack. She pauses, but then decides not to turn around and walks out, closing the door behind her::

1 comment:

J-Mi said...

Yay! A Slytherin! It's great to read more about Graceleaf, whom I always see bopping around in the dungeon but haven't gotten to know very well!

Beth, if you read this, they were several people talking about steeking projects this term in the common room, so you could probably keep an eye out in there for some tips and picturs