Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Babblings from the Broomsticks

Good morning, oh lovely students of our fine and distinguished school. How is Autumn treating you?

Welcome to another week of Babblings from the Broomsticks! This week, our gorgeous Charms assistant, Mlledefarge, sat down with me and we had a lovely time catching up! Here's a bit more about her :)


The Books


Which character in Harry Potter do you relate to most?

I like Hermione and Luna, but there is something about Quirrell. Yes, Mr. Something-on-the-back-of-his-head himself. I’m not sure that I relate to him the most, but he is rather intriguing. He picked, the wrong master, that’s for sure, but with a little name substitution, this quote could work for a good master (Dumbledore, Buddha, etc.):

"I met him when I travelled around the world. A foolish young man I was then, full of ridiculous ideas about good and evil. Voldemort showed me how wrong I was. Since then, I serve him faithfully, although I have let him down many times."
—Quirinus Quirrell

He is a good example that being loyal and faithful and obedient always counts, but the person/thing/idea to which you are loyal is even more important.

If there were one object from the Harry Potter universe that you could pull into real life, what would it be?

Vanishing cabinet. I’d put one in my house, and one in each of my sisters’ homes and be a very happy person.

When I ask you what your favorite scene is in the series, what’s the first one that comes to mind?

Hermione punching Malfo. I’m not particulary violent, but I do love that scene.

The Books


How did you first become involved with the House Cup?

This is my second term. Last term, I happened to find the group through a friend’s page right before sign-ups. Good timing! This term I get to be one of the Charms TAs and it’s been most enjoyable.

What is your favorite part of the House Cup?

I love the rush and excitement when new classes are posted each month, and then seeing the stellar projects in the prize thread.

Do you have any advice to hand out to the new students here at Hogwarts?

If HPKCHC were a buffet, my eyes would be bigger than my stomach. Try not to over-commit - do the minimum and then whatever else you can comfortable do (and enjoy). If it becomes more stressful than fun, readjust. It just your wizarding education, that’s all.

The Knitty Gritty


Do you knit, crochet, spin? Any other hidden talents?

Just knit. That’s enough for me. Weaving is tempting, but I have enough projects in various stages that I really don’t need another genre to tempt me.

Why did you first pick up your knitting needles (or craft of choice)?

Familiar story, really. My grandmother taught me a bit with some scratchy brown yarn when I was maybe 7 or 8. It didn’t take. Years later, when I finished up my MBA, I went home for the holidays and my mom taught me again. And boy, did it take! That was in late 2003 and I’ve been going strong (more or less) ever since.

Of all of your self-made projects, which one brings you the most pride?

I’m pretty darn proud of my Shipwreck shawl. It’s fun to see people’s faces when I say that yes, those are beads. 5,000 beads! I love it when people ask for my Excel notes, too. It’s great to help if I can.

No comments: