Monday, October 19, 2009

Babblings from the Broomsticks

Happy Monday, Hogwarts lads and lasses! And a beautiful Monday it is. If you haven't had a chance to see the Autumn colors on school grounds, be sure to take a brisk walk - it'll wake you right up!

Our lovely Charms Assistant, Mauri, was kind enough to join me for some questions this week. She was a sweetheart and pleasure to converse with!

The Books


Which character in Harry Potter do you relate to most?

Oh, to be original. Instead, I actually relate the most to Hermione, with her dedication to her friends and schoolwork. A friend once commented that I couldn’t leave a bad situation alone, I had to fiddle and try and make it better.

I also have a soft spot Ron, for every time he’s left out of something, because I know we’ve all felt the effects of that at one point or another.

If there were one object from the Harry Potter universe that you could pull into real life, what would it be?

Most definitely a broomstick, especially if I thought I could get away with flying it to class.

When I ask you what your favorite scene is in the series, what’s the first one that comes to mind?

I love all of the ‘slice of wizarding life’ bits we get throughout the books, but the one that sticks out is when Hermione and Ron learn that they’re going to be prefects in the fifth book. Fred and George’s disgust makes me giggle every time.


The Basics


How did you first become involved with the House Cup?

I discovered it through clicking around (I think I noticed an odd tag on somebody’s project) midway through the second term and waited anxiously for April to sign-up.
Though, looking at my join date last January, I must have been waiting more than I remember.

What is your favorite part of the House Cup?

The first part of the month, with new assignments and new projects to contemplate. But also the end of the month, with everyone racing to the finish and concocting wacky stories to make things fit.
Do you have any advice to hand out to the new students here at Hogwarts?

The minimum requirements are there for a reason! The more gung ho of us will encourage you to participate as much as possible, but we all understand Real Life, illness, and the occasional bouts of just-plain-fed-up-with-knitting-ness.


The Knitty Gritty


Do you knit, crochet, spin? Any other hidden talents?

I knit almost exclusively. (”I’m a knitter, not a seamstress, Jim!”) I keep trying to teach myself to crochet, but lack the proper motivation. I took a spinning class this summer, but failed to stick with it.

Why did you first pick up your knitting needles (or craft of choice)?

My mother taught me when I was ten, but I really got into it the summer before I left for college.
Of all of your self-made projects, which one brings you the most pride?

Hmm…probably my Feather & Fan Circular Shawl. It’s been more than a year since I’ve finished it, and I’ve certainly been quite proud of other things I have made since then. However, every time I look at it, I get the simultaneous feeling of ‘Did I make this?’ and ‘How nuts must I have been to pick this one out of the book?’

Is there a craft or technique you’d like to try that you haven’t gotten to yet?

I guess I’m mostly focused on improving my knitting repertoire. I want to make toe-up socks, get a handle on short row heels, steek at least once, and improve my fair isle. I’m also working on improving my seaming and other finishing techniques.

That being said, I’d love to pick up crochet, if only for the amigurumi! There’s also quilting, jewelry-making, pottery, weaving, wood-carving, sewing…

No comments: