Friday, June 26, 2009

10 Questions With...

This week, the lovely cmelvin, Ravenclaw's Head of House and professor of Charms, has stepped down to do some traveling. To honor her, we're publishing her interview this week in our "10 Questions" segment.


We'll start with the basics...

1. Which is your favorite Harry Potter book?
Probably the Prisoner of Azkaban. I love seeing Lupin as the caring, clever teacher, and this book was still in the slightly simpler era before the war really started getting complicated.

2. Which is your favorite Harry Potter movie?
The Philosophers Stone. [That's The Sorcerer's Stone to us Yanks.] I love them all, but you just can’t beat the original. I especially love the way Diagon Alley is portrayed in this one, and the original casting of Dumbledore, Flitwick and Tom.

3. Who is your favorite Harry Potter character?
In case you missed my stalking courtship in Hogsmeade, that would be Professor Severus Snape :snuggles Snape:

And to transition the love of
all things HP into the House Cup…


4. How did you become involved with the House Cup?
I saw the words ‘Head of House’ and ‘volunteers’ in the HPLovers group and pounced.

5. What is your favorite part of the House Cup?
All the wonderful friends I have made. GazeboGal and Ielith especially I think will be friends for life. I love how caring and creative you all are :initiates school-wide group hug:

6. You’ve identified yourself as a Ravenclaw. Why?
I am almost obsessively compulsively organised. I love to read and learn new things. I have been told I am witty, though I have yet to prove it to myself, and I love puzzles. I can’t imagine a better place to be than Ravenclaw Tower, where you are always having to think and re-evaluate what you know.

7. What made you volunteer to teach Charms this term?
I’ve had a ball teaching Charms the last two terms and I am nowhere near out of ideas. I love seeing what everyone comes up with, and having the power to reward those who have really thought outside of the box. Sometimes people make things that I hadn’t even imagined could relate to the assignment; it appeals to my Ravenclaw nature.

8. What makes a student’s project stand out to you?
Creativity more than anything: an unusual twist on the prompt. I also take note if it is big or complex, or even if it is simply funny or lovely. Sometimes the most simple things, like YarnPiggy’s cowl (February 09 Charms), can be the most beautiful.

And a little bit about you…

9. Do you knit, crochet, spin, or some combination of the three?
I occasionally spin and can crochet, but prefer knitting. There’s always a new technique to be mastered or improved, and now that I’ve started branching out into designing I’ve found myself trying to experiment with techniques too!

10. Last, but not least, what’s the story behind your Ravelry ID “CMelvin”?
Simple really: it’s my name. C is for Christine, Melvin is for… well… Melvin. I would have been knottyknitter but it was taken (that was from my first attempt at knitting from a skien).

No comments: