Monday, September 21, 2009

Babblings from the Broomsticks

Welcome, one and all to yet another edition of getting to know your staff members here at the Broomsticks!

This week, I had the lovely opportunity to sit down with Lupingirl, one of our amazing O.W.L. examiners. I don't know about all of you, my fellow Hogwarts students, but I've spent quite a bit of time in the O.W.L. threads watching young wizards and witches work out what their tests will be, and the O.W.L. professors and assistants are on. their. game. The time and effort they put in is really quite magical :)

The Books


Which character in Harry Potter do you relate to most?

I would say Lupin (that’s why the name, in addition to the fact that I love him!) - as a kid I was always that one who didn’t fit in and was very thankful when I found a small but very close group of friends. As a teacher, I was very involved with my students and interested in their lives in an extracurricular sense - coaching sports and helping students with classwork that they didn’t understand. As an individual, I’m on the introspective side and I am also more than willing to give others the benefit of the doubt.

If there were one object from the Harry Potter universe that you could pull into real life, what would it be?

Right now, a time turner - I think this is pretty self-explanatory. Most of the time my answer would be a Firebolt, though.

When I ask you what your favorite scene is in the series, what’s the first one that comes to mind?

The scenes with the Shrieking Shack in POA and the Pensieve with Snape’s memories at the end of Deathly Hallows are dueling it out in my brain right now.


The Basics


How did you first become involved with the House Cup?

I joined after the first term had started and didn’t even think of asking if I could play along. So I signed up for the Winter Term and just absolutely loved it. I volunteered to be the OWLs assistant last term, and that led to co-examiner this term.

What is your favorite part of the House Cup?

I think the people. They are all awesome. I love that I have tried lots of new techniques because of House Cup assignments, and that I feel so motivated to finish so many projects, but if I didn’t like the people here, I wouldn’t devote so much time to it.

Do you have any advice to hand out to the new students here at Hogwarts?

Have fun, make projects you love and really want, and don’t stress. It’s a game!


The Knitty Gritty


Do you knit, crochet, spin? Any other hidden talents?

I knit and am learning crochet. I am an awesome painter and sketch artist. I am training for my second half-marathon. I am a fabulous friend and a Guitar Hero champ. I make the world’s yummiest GF Lemon Cupcakes. I am super-smart and modest to a fault. ;)

Why did you first pick up your knitting needles (or craft of choice)?
The summer before I started teaching, I was bored and was browsing at the bookstore for something to do. I found a copy of Stitch ‘N’ Bitch - thought it was hysterical and bought it. Then I went across the street to the big box and bought a skein of Red Heart and a pair of aluminum needles. The rest is history!

Of all of your self-made projects, which one brings you the most pride?
That would have to be my very first sweater - it was for my best friend and he loved it:



Is there a craft or technique you’d like to try that you haven’t gotten to yet?

I am learning to sew, and I would really love to get into quilting.

No comments: