Friday, June 19, 2009

10 Questions With...

This week, we're getting up close and personal with everyone's favorite Ancient Runes, Divination and Potions professor, brineydeep4!

We'll start with the basics...

Which is your favorite Harry Potter book?
I’m in love with the third book, Prisoner of Azkaban. I always thought that the first two were enjoyable to read, but reading the third book made me realize “Wow! JKR has a whole wizarding world in her head with a past and a future.” It was such a fun read and really set the tone for how the rest of the series would progress.

Which is your favorite Harry Potter movie?
I’m going to have to say POA here as well. Like the books, this movie transitions from the happy, gold-tinted tone of the first movies to the darkness of all the next movies. It’s the HP movie I usually grab when I want to have something in the background while I knit.

Who is your favorite Harry Potter character?
Neville Longbottom. He transforms from the awkward kid who can’t do anything right to a bad-ass by the end of the series. Killing Nagini? Becoming a Hogwarts professor? I would have never guessed.

And to transition the love of
all things HP into the House Cup...

How did you become involved with the House Cup?
Headmistress Onica posted her idea for a House Cup competition in the ‘Harry Potter Lovers’ group almost a year ago and I was immediately interested. I signed up right away and even suggested starting the first term on September 1st, so as best to align with HP canon.

What is your favorite part of the House Cup?
I haven’t really changed the types of things I knit while participating in the House Cup, but I like that each project has a greater sense of purpose and urgency to ensure that my house wins points. I’m also amazed my the warmth of the people in this group and the interpersonal connections are what keep me coming back each term.

What made you volunteer to teach the “Rotation 1” class (Ancient Runes, Divination and Potions)?
I tried to lobby the headmistress for a Divination class this term, as HP canon says the third year is the first time this class is offered to students (making the House Cup agree with canon makes me happy in such a geeky way). In the end, I was satisfied with teaching one month of Divination, along with two other very interesting subjects.

What makes a student’s project stand out to you?
Creativity, in either the project itself or the student’s description of their project. Additionally, a well made or challenging project will always stand out. A great example, and a favorite of mine, is smartcinderella’s February Care of Magical Creatures homework from last term; it was well made, very creative, and was HP-themed in a unique way.

And a little bit about you...

Do you knit, crochet, spin, or some combination of the three?
I’m primarily a knitter, though I do spin, crochet, sew, weave, etc. My mother is a weaver and has always encouraged my many fibery pursuits. Still, knitting is my favorite.

What is your favorite type of item to craft?
Well, my inspiration really comes in phases. I’ve been in a lull recently, so I’ve been knitting a lot of mindless 2x2 ribbed socks. When I am feeling inspired, I like to knit raglan sweaters from the top-down.

Last, but not least, what’s the story behind your Ravelry ID “brineydeep4”?
I am the youngest of my dad’s 4 children, so that makes me four-deep on the Briney list. My ID also plays off the phrase

1 comment:

Smartcinderella said...

Wow, I got a mention! Thanks professor! Your classes are always interesting and well organized. You do such a good job for us!